Monday, September 20, 2010

The old saying.

Put one foot in front of the other......

Today I ventured out to Off 'n Running, a specialized store for "runners". Every Monday they have a half -hour plus  run for beginners around 5:45pm. Kellie, my personal trainer who I have been working with for a month, met me there and we ventured out with a few other runners. I really don't consider myself a runner. Maybe because I don't really feel like a runner. In my mind a runner is one who runs effortlessly at a pace that looks fun. I kinda feel like I'm running with lead chains buckled around my ankles and breathing like I'm in the Swiss Alps. Today it definitely felt like that.

We ran from the store to a near by grave yard that was set among acres of hills and steep inclines. You don't really think about how steep they are until you are running. I took many walking breaks and felt a little defeated as my "running" partners seemed to glide along. As I began to feel sorry for myself, my eyes began to notice all the people in cars driving down the road not expending any energy and probably couldn't run the 8 minutes I did without stopping. These thoughts renewed my drive enough to run with a little more "umph" up the last stretch. I don't really look like a runner but I am a runner. I'm putting one foot in front of the other and working that heart muscle more than I was a month ago.

1 comment:

  1. If you were running, you are a runner by definition in my book. Indeed I'm sure your heart knew it. I'm proud of you. Love always, M

    ReplyDelete