Thursday, October 21, 2010

The State Fair

Thirty years ago was the last time I visited the state fair in Raleigh; it wasn't an experience I gave to my girls. So why now am I heading to the fair this Saturday? It begins with some background .

It was October 30th 1980, I was a junior on fall break at UNC Greensboro. Several friends and I traveled to Raleigh to experience the sounds, smells, and exhiliration that the fair promises. I don't really remember too much about what I did, but I can imagine it was lots of fun. We drove back to Greensboro in the late afternoon and stayed at my friend Mary's apartment, I think I was planning to eat dinner with her and hang out. Upon returning I got a phone call from my brother David. "Dorothy, come home quick". My friend drove me home. We drove up to my house and I noticed several unfamiliar cars parked out front. With a deep sense of dread in the pit of my stomach, I walked in the front door. It was there, I learned my dad was dead, by his own hand. That was the last time I went to the fair.

30 years later I'm ready to see the fair, again.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea. I am so sorry about this horrific memory in your life. I know it must still ache from time to time. I am so glad you were able to go back to the fair and enjoy yourself! God is good. I have just found your blog and plan to follow.

    ReplyDelete